Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

[Teamspeak Information] Address: executivejustice.typefrag.com:4660 | Password: Justice

Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 2544 times)

krycius

• View Profile
Hi All
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:02:45 am »
Hey All,

Names Patrick, and I'll be flying under the handle of krycius. I've actually been following SC since it was in kick starter but finally bought my 1st ship a few months back, due to always being overseas the last few years. Currently flying an F7C Hornet base model but will be upgrading to a Ghost soon, will also be purchasing a Constellation or similar sized ship. I usually fill scout  and recon type roles in most games I play, but also love interdiction and hunting roles as well and am willing to fill crew positions when needed.

Can't wait to fly with everyone!

on a side note, I'm prepping to purchase some type of flight stick and am wondering which ones are being used and or preferred, any incite would be appreciated before i decide on one.

About me: I retired last year after 20+ years in the U.S. Army. I have a degree in Network Administration and am currently pursuing a BS in Cyber Security which takes up allot of my free time, when i'm not working on project cars. I've been playing MMO's since UO first came out in the 90's and spent 7 years on EQ, several as a GM. Since then I have played just about any MMO you could mention but i am picky and it takes a bit to hook me in for the long haul especially once end game levels are reached. Now that I'm not deploying every other year, I can actually dedicate some time to a good game and so far this seems to be it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:54:14 am by krycius »

gossman

• Goss Boss
  • Administrator
  • woot
    • View Profile
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:52:16 pm »
Welcome to EJ I hope you enjoy your time here.
"All for one and one for All"

Each individual should act for the benefit of the group, and the group should act for the benefit of each individual.

BuegeCJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:26:29 pm »
Welcome to the official forums man! It's good to see you on here! As for flight sticks, I'd recommend a HOTAS. If you want to go big you can buy the HOTAS Warthog, that is generally regarded as the best all around HOTAS but it costs around $400 ($500-600 with rudder pedals). The Saitek X-52 is a solid HOTAS as well and so is the x-65 if you can get used to the pressure sensitive stick. What cars do you have? I grew up with prewar classics, my dad had a 39 Dodge and a 1929 Model A. I always wanted to buy a 1970 Challenger to fix up but it's just too much of a money pit right now XD
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:40:46 am by BuegeCJ »

Tearfall

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 08:20:20 pm »
Hi Patrick!

Glad to have you aboard, have a Redeemer gunship/troop transport here and a Retaliator (planning on getting either the Super-Hornet, Gladius or Bulldog as well- undecided which one yet).

In most military-style games and sims, I fly helicopters or jets. As to infantry I usually take on a recon/sniper/infiltration role.

My weapon of choice is either a marksman's rifle, sniper rifle - or the type of weapon I used most commonly when in the armed forces - the machine gun.

In my opinion, nothing beats a weapon that is as accurate as an assault rifle, but with 7 times the amount of ammunition per clip.
Yes, they are heavier and you won't run as far with them or as fast, but if you're running - chances are your squad is still with you and you're the aggressor, and you'll be leapfrogging towards them.

If you're not running, your ambush was successful and you just killed the entire enemy squad. ;)

As to flight sticks, I would not recommend the Warthog -- it is the gold standard of Flight Sims, but a very important thing to note is that it does NOT have 6 DoF (from everyone I've talked to about it anyways.... If anyone knows differently, chime in!).
I'd recommend the Saitek X55, and if that is a bit beyond what you're willing to spend - the X52 (what I'm using). But if you can afford the extra, the X52.
With the X55 you have 2 throttles ("atmospheric thrust" and Decoupled thrust separately - meaning you can do some really fancy flying), 6 DoF and enough buttons to map all the essentials and then some to buttons on your joystick.
You'll also control your gimballed weapons and turrets with one of your fingers ontop of that.... Trust me, it's pretty damn awesome - and I have the X55's younger sibling which isn't nearly as good (but still, the X52 is awesome too!).... It's hard to learn how to fly your ship, lock on and fire missiles and control and fire your gimballed guns whilst deploying countermeasures with a HOTAS... But I've finally learnt how, and I have to say I'm loving it!

Would not play the game any other way, however, before you're getting good with the set-up it can be very frustrating, but well worth it.

About me: I've done a fraction of the service you have, and in the Swedish Armed Forces. I'm a FileMaker developer and working for a IT Security company. Additionally, I'm doing distance-learning through university courses in C# and .Net, I've just finished my second course on the subject - of which the end project pretty much wiped me out (mentally) :D.

I've also been playing MMO's since UO and EQ - not sure how long I played EQ, but it was about the time EQ II came out I stopped. Been playing most MMO's,
being a father of two nowadays, my time with MMO's have nearly come to an end... for the simple reason of "levelling".

Nowadays, I want to be able to log in and start playing with my friends, not having to ensure we're so and so many levels from each other and have so-and-so good equipment.

Star Citizen offers me that exactly, gives my space dreams hope and the pilot inside me giggles.

You'll find me playing it fairly commonly around 20.00 GMT to 24.00 GMT to be honest :).

Anyways, hope to see you on teamspeak Patrick - and looking forward to chatting with you!

Siro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 10:34:54 pm »
Welcome aboard Patrick!

krycius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:12:50 am »
Hey there,
Thanks for HOTUS suggestions, Think i'm gonna end up getting the Seitek X-55 as of now and possible rudder pedals after a bit. Warthog seems to be double the price and then some, with just as many complaints on the forums as the X-55. Been really busy on school projects this quarter but think ill be getting in game here shortly. Just built a new computer and got everything updated and loaded so hopefully ill get in some flying real soon. Will get teamspeak again and load it up tonight as well.

Hopefully will see some of you soon!

krycius

Enterprise © Bloc